Bang Sai Royal Folk Arts and Crafts Center
DESTINATION: Bang Sai Royal Folk Arts and Crafts Center
THAI NAME: ศูนย์ศิลปาชีพบางไทรฯ
LOCATION: Bang Sai in Ayutthaya Province
GPS: 14.155569, 100.518795
The Bangsai Royal Folk Arts and Crafts Center occupies an area of 14 acres in Amphoe Bang Sai which can be visited either by road or river. It was established under royal patronage in 1976. Farmers from rural areas undergo training in folk arts and crafts here. Visitors will have a glimpse of various different Thai houses in regional styles and see how the rural people produce exquisite handicrafts including fern vien basketry, weaving basketry, artificial flowers, hand-woven silk and cotton, silk dyeing, wood-carving, miniature hand-modeled Thai dolls, furniture making, and cloth-made products.
The Training Center located in the central portion of the Center’s ground, consists of workshops for the various arts and crafts taught and practiced. Tourists can wander through these buildings and admire the finesse and precision Thai craftsmen employ in making their products. Training, and long hours of painstaking effort are required to achieve results of out standing quality.
The Arts and Crafts Village is a blend of many traditional houses, in different styles of architecture, from all over Thailand. The village is a permanent place to display and demonstrate Thai arts and culture, such as lifestyles part-time, folk shows and plays.
OPENING HOURS: Weekday open from 8 a.m. – 4.30 p.m. Weekend open from 8.00 a.m. – 6.00 p.m.
ADMISSION: Foreigners – 100 baht for adults and 50 baht for children. Thai people – 50 baht for adults and 20 baht for children.
INFORMATION: Call 0 3536 6252-4, 0 3528 3246-9
How to Get to Bang Sai Arts and Crafts Centre
1. Route 1 Highway No.9 (Western Ring Road), from Highway No.345 intersection (Amphoe Bang Bua Thong), which is also accessible from Suphan Buri – Taling Chan, or Pathum Thani via Sam Khok elevated intersection – across the Chao Phraya River – turn left at Bo Sa Intersection – straight on to the Centre.
2. Route 2 Highway No.306 (Tiwanon Road) from Pak Kret Intersection – Suan Somdet Intersection – Pak Khlong Rangsit Intersection – Bang Phun Intersection – turn right into Highway No.347 (Pathum Thani – Bang Pahan) at Pathum Thani Technological College Intersection via Chiang Rak Noi Intersection – turn left at Chiang Rak Noi elevated intersection and straight pass Bo Sa Intersection – U turn under the bridge across the Chao Phraya River – turn left at Bo Sa Intersection – straight on to the Centre.
3. Route 3 Pak Kret – Bang Pa-in Expressway – out of the expressway and straight pass Bo Sa Intersection – U turn under the bridge across the Chao Phraya River – turn left at Bo Sa Intersection – straight on to the Centre.
4. Route 4 Highway No.1 (Phahon Yothin Road) from Rangsit, or the North or Northeast – via Bang Pa-in elevated intersection into Highway No.9 (Western Ring Road) – straight pass Chiang Rak Noi elevated intersection – pass Bo Sa Intersection – U turn under the bridge across the Chao Phraya River – turn left at Bo Sa Intersection – straight on to the Centre.
5. Route 5 Asia Highway from Bang Pahan – Ayutthaya along Highway No.347 (Pathum Thani – Bang Pahan) – across the Chao Phraya River – turn right at Chiang Rak Noi elevated intersection–straight pass Bo Sa Intersection – U turn under the bridge across the Chao Phraya River – turn left at Bo Sa Intersection–straight on to the Centre.
6. Route 6 Highway No.3309 (Bang Pa-in–Chiang Rak Noi), from Asia Highway, or Ayutthaya, via Bang Pa-in Paper Manufacture – under the bridge of the Chao Phraya River – turn left at Bang Sai Pier – straight on to the Centre.
Take a train running from Hua Lamphong (Bangkok Railway Station) to Bang Pa-in Railway Station daily every hour starting from 06.40-22.00 hrs. Then, connect a Song Thaeo or mini-bus to Bang Sai Arts and Crafts Centre. Bangkok Railway Station , Tel. 1690, 0 2220 4334 or click www.railway.co.th.By Bus : Take a Public Buse no.838 (Rangsit-Bang Sai Arts and Crafts Centre) leaving from Bangkok from the Future Park Rangsit Bus Stop on Phahonyothin Road to Bang Sai starting 06.00-21.00 hrs. or take a bus from the Northern Bus Terminal on Kamphaeng Phet Road to Bang Pa-in. Then, connect a Song Thaeo or mini-bus to Bang Sai Arts and Crafts Centre. For more details, please call Tel. 0 2936 2852-66 or click www.transport.co.th and Ayutthaya Bus Terminal, Tel. 0 3533 5304
Cruise to Ayutthaya The luxurious cruise from Bangkok to the former capital of Ayutthaya is operated by Chao Phraya Princess Cruise Tel: 0 2860 3700, Horizon Cruise Tel: 0 2236 7777, River Sun Cruise Tel: 0 2266 9316, 266 9125-6, Manohra Tel: 0 2476 0021-2, and Grand Pearl Tel: 0 2861 0255-60.