From Angthong Province

Ang Thong is small province on the bank of the Chao Phraya River. The former settlement is at Wiset Chai Chan on the bank of the Noi River. It was an essential frontier outpost of Ayutthaya when fighting with the Burmese. The majority of the people was later moved to a new site on the left bank of the Chao Phraya River during the Thon Buri period. Ang Tong is located 108 kms. north of Bangkok. It occupies an area of 968 square kilometres

Ang Thong is administratively divided into seven districts (Amphoes): Muang Ang Tong, Chaiyo, Pa Mok, Pho Tong, Sawaengha, Wiset Chai Chan and Samko.

Wat Khoi

This riverside temple is located in Tambon Pho Rang Nok, Amphoe Pho Thong. Travel 12 kms. on the Ang Thong-Wiset Chai Chan route turn right and go for another 5 kms. More than 50,000 fish of various species crowd the Noi River in front of the temple. The Pho Thong Fishery Office declared the area a fish sanctuary in 1985. ln the temple there is also situated a local museum where various boats and ancient tools are on display.

Ban Bang Sadet

Ban Bang Sadet is a high raised Thai house behind Wat Tha Sutthawat in Tambon Ban Bang Sadet.  The former name of this Tambon was Tambon Ban Wattan.  When Their Majesties the King and the Queen visited and offered help to those who suffered from flood in 1975, the people were overwhelmingly pleased with their Majesties presence and contributions.  In remembrance of their gratitude to Their Majesties, the people approvingly changed the name of Ban Wattan to Ban Bang Sadet.

The establishment of Ban Bang Sadet Court Doll Project was initiated by Her Majesty the Queen in 1976.  Its main purpose is to help the villagers earn supplementary income.  Besides admiring the shaded and magnificent scene over the bank of the Chao Phraya River, visitors can observe court doll production in the friendly villagers’ houses. Center of collaboration in the form of a co-operative system resides at Ban Bang Sadet Court Doll Center.  Some project members will demonstrate court doll making and the products on sale are available at fair price.  Court dolls are the exotic clay invention displaying Thai-style course of life and culture, e.g. Thai childrens’ recreation, Thai orchestra or various types of Thai fruits appropriate as souvenirs.  Contact number of Court Doll Production and Sales Center is Tel. 0 3566 2995.

Ban Bang Phae

This is a village which specialises in drum making. It is located at Tambon Ekkarat behind Pa Mok Market near the Chao Phraya River. The traditional drums, made of cow hide and softwood with exquisite craftsmanship, were originally used in performances. Smaller sizes are also available for tourists, who like to buy them as souvenirs.

Ban Bang Chao Cho

This village is located in Amphoe Pho Thong, 14 kms. from the town. The villagers have retained the art of traditional basketry and make old patterns as well as create modern designs. The bamboo baskets are made in various shapes and sizes, and can be used in many ways. Along the Ayutthaya-Pa Mok route, there is a cottage industry of Thai-Style house prefabricated parts. The exquisite workmanship has been handed down from generation to generation.

Wat Siroi

Wat Siroi is located on the bank of the Noi River, at Mu 4, Tambon Siroi. Follow Highway No. 3454 km.31-32 (on Pho Phraya Tha ruea or Ang Thong Wiset Chai Chan route about 12.5 km. kilometers to the west of Amphoe Mueang Ang Thong, take a left turn along the irrigation canal road for 5 kilometers).  At Wai Siroi, there is a seated Buddha image in the posture of Pa Lelai, called Luangpho To –  21 meters high and 6 meters wide from knee to knee.  Inside of the ubosot, there used to have exquisite mural paintings by the craftsmanship of painters school in Ayutthaya.  At present, the paintings have been faded away.

Wat Oi

Wat Oi is an old temple representing a symbol of Mueang Wiset Chai Chan locating at Mu 10, Tambon Sanchao Rongthong, on the west bank of the Noi River.  Follow Highway No. 3454 for approximately 2 kilometers and 1 kilometer from the north of Wat Khian.  The temple is assumed to have been constructed in the Ayutthaya period, but there is no evidence by the reign of which king.  The ubosot is a huge building consisting of 6 chambers made of brick and plaster in ancient design.  The roofs were made of wood and covered with fire-clay tiles, as beautiful as the ubosot of Wat Ratchaburana in Ayutthaya.  With Maha-ut design, there is no window in the ubosot.

Special features of the ubosot are the pillars of the gallery in 8 directions.  The principal Buddha image, called Luangpho Dam, is made of alloy of brass and tin.  Wat Oi was used as a venue to hold the ceremony of taking the oath of allegiance to the king in the Ayutthaya period.  In the precincts of Wat Oi, the Children Creation Foundation has provided accommodation for problem children: straying, drug addicted, or illegally behaved.  The accommodation is called Ban Dek Klai Wat with the purpose of helping problem children to live better life.  They can live with the beauty of natural surroundings and monks help to treat them mentally.

Wat Khian

Wat Khian is another ancient temple locating at Mu 8, Tambon Sanchao Rongthong, near Wat Wiset Chai Chan, which is 12 kilometers from Amphoe Mueang.  Follow Highway No. 3454 for approximately 1 kilometer.  Inside the ubosot are exquisite mural paintings featuring stories of 10 former incarnations of the Lord Buddha, which were presumably the workmanship of a painter school in Mueang Wiset Chai Chan in the late Ayutthaya period.  The painting features are similar to those painted in the same period being in the ubosot to Wat Ko and Wat Yai Suwannaram in Phetchburi Province.

Wat Ban Phran

Wat Ban Phran is located in Tambon Sriphran.  Take Pho Thong Sawaeng Ha route (Highway No. 3054) Km 21-22. It is unknown when this ancient temple was built.  Regarding to Luangpu Chaimongkons (from Ayutthaya) narration, a couple called Mr. Phan and Mrs. Ngoen and their son, Mr. Krapukthong constructed Wat Ban Phran at the end of Sukhothai era during 1319-1327.  After that, this temple was deserted and was overspread with thick weeds and trees for over 100 years.

Wat Ban Phran is located in Tambon Sriphran.  Take Pho Thong Sawaeng Ha route (Highway No. 3054) Km 21-22. It is unknown when this ancient temple was built.  Regarding to Luangpu Chaimongkons (from Ayutthaya) narration, a couple called Mr. Phan and Mrs. Ngoen and their son, Mr. Krapukthong constructed Wat Ban Phran at the end of Sukhothai era during 1319-1327.  After that, this temple was deserted and was overspread with thick weeds and trees for over 100 years.

When hunters set up small village in this area, they helped renovate this temple.  There is a legend saying that the laterite Buddha image called Luangpho Kraithong enshrined in this wihan was built by King Sri Intharathit in Sukhothai and removed into separated parts for assembly again as the principal Buddha image in Wat Ban Phran.  Since the founder would like to build his own principal image, he constructed wihan to house the Buddha image called Luangpho Kraithong.  Krai represents the robe, and shoulder clothes of Luangpho Kraithong.  Some fine days at midnight, Krai will turn into sparkling light indicating good luck for those who happen to see.  It is believed to be a sacred one being able to protect the worshippers from danger.

Ban Khu Mueang

Ban Khu Mueang is located in Tambon Ban Phai, 4 kilometers from the north of Sawaeng Ha District and 3 kilometers from Bang Rachan stockade.  At Ban Khu Mueang, archaeologists discovered ruins of an ancient city, which presumably existed during Thwarawadi period.  Its evidence shows a wide ancient moat and earthen mound, some fragments of pottery, animal bones, beads, and medicine grinding stone.  At present, it is a simple canal without any traces of historical sites.

Wat Pho Thong

Wat Pho Thong is located in Ban Pho Thong, Tambon Khamyat, opposite the entrance of Ban Bangchaocha, 9 kilometers from Amphoe Mueang on Ang Thong Pho Thong route.  In the royal chronicle, Wat Pho Thong was the place where Krommakhun Phornphinit (Prince Uthumphorn or Khunluang Hawat) entered his monkshood.  King Rama VI spent his summer vacation in this temple during his boat trip visiting the Noi River and Yai River in Krungkao precinct in 1916.