From Chachoengsao Province

Chachoengsao is located on the bank of the Bang Pakong River. The town was established in the year 1549 during the reign of King Maha Chakkraphat of Ayutthaya and originally used as a centre for armed force recruitment. During the reign of King Maha Thammaracha, the kingdom was in a weak condition due to being defeated by the Burmese. Phraya Lawaek, the Khmer king located Thai people from several towns including Chachoengsao to be his work force.

Chachoengsao is commonly called “Paet Riu”, such a name is derived from large sized fish locally caught in the past. The town is some 100 kms. east of Bangkok occupying an area of 5,351 square kilometres. Its area is a low basin rich in rice fields, fish farms and fruit orchards.

Mango Orchards

Chachoengsao is the venue for the most favorite fruit in Thailand which is mango. With the area of 86,000 Rae or 34,400 Acre, mangoes are grown mostly in Amphoe Bang Khla and Plaeng Yao. The most popular species are Raet, Khiao Sawoei, Chao Khun Thip, and Thongdam. The mango season is in March, which the mango Festival will be held annually.

Khro Hin Son

This is on Phanom Sarakham-Kabin Buri Road between Km. 51 and 52. It is a spectacular hill full of huge white rocks. The unfertile area of about 770 acres, has been managed and developed in accordance with the royal projects of experiment and demonstrations on crop cultivation, fishery and livestock, so that farmers can apply this knowledge in their work.

Ben Santitham or the village Social Development Centre

This is located in Amphoe Sanam Chai Khet, some 60 kms. east of the town along Route Nos. 304, 3245 and 3259. The centre was established by the villagers to pass on local wisdom and express the traditional way of life to youth. In the village, there are herb gardens, a typical house with an exhibition of farming tools and many devices created by the local folk. Various farm products and herbs are on sale at a nearby roadside open market.

Wat Chin Pracha Samoson

Wat Chin Pracha Samoson (Wat Leng Hok Yi) is another Chinese temple of Wat Leng Noei Yi in Bangkok. It is on Supphakit Road, far from the City Hall about 1 kilometer. The interesting points in the temple are Chinese warrior sculptures and the ceremonial hall (viharn) with Chinese arts. It is also a popular site for Chinese religious ceremonies.

Klongsuan Market

Situated on the banks of Prawetburirom Canal, Khlong Suan Market lies in two provinces: Tambon Thepparat, Amphoe Ban Pho, Chacoengsao Province and Tambon Khlong Suan, Amphoe Bang Bo, Samut Prakan Province. This traditional market dates back to the reign of King Rama V. The market contains many different shops, which are getting rare these days, since they are increasingly being replaced by modern convenience stores and shopping malls. More than 100 years old, it still retains the quaint charm of the old days. Visitors will be pleased with the traditional market atmosphere while enjoying a great variety of tasty food.

In the past, the market was most conveniently accessible by boat. There was only one passenger boat service from Chachoengsao to Bangkok, serviced by Nai Loet (Mr. Loet). The boat picked up passengers at Chachoengsao, ran past Khlong Suan Market, and eventually arrived at Pratu Nam (Water Gate) in Bangkok.

The market is still an important community centre, transit point for commuters, and cargo port. The market is also a centre uniting the spirit of the Thai, Chinese and Muslim people who lived peacefully in the same area, as can be seen from the architecture of its temples and mosques, and a Chinese canteen offering free vegan food for people. In addition, its people always cooperated in developing the community’s infrastructure, for instance digging canals and building roads. Though they were of different religions, they have always enjoyed morning cafe get-togethers to share ideas, experiences, news and politics. The coffee shops have always been lively community meeting places.

The local governmental organizations of the two provinces support the preservation both of the community’s buildings and simple way of life. In addition, Khlong Suan Market has been promoted to the status of cultural attraction, of which visitors are welcomed to experience its idyllic atmosphere dating back to the reign of King Rama V.

Getting there:
By car – from Bangkok, take Motorway Expressway, and follow the signs for ‘100 Year Old Khlong Suan Market’, or take On Nut – Chachoengsao Road, drive past Latkrabang Institute of Technology, continue straight, and Khlong Suan Market will be on the left.  For further information, contact Tambon Thepparat Municipality, Amphoe Ban Pho, Chachoensao, tel. 0 3859 5633, 0 3859 5716, or Tambon Khlong Suan Municipality, Amphoe Bang Bo, Samut Prahan, tel. 0 2739 3253, 0 2739 3329, 0 2704 1273.

The City Pillar Shrine

Located on Na Mueang Road, the shrine is featured by the Thai architectural style with 4-sided roofs and a tower (Prang) in the center. Inside, there are 2 city piles which were built in 1834 and 1895. In the same compound, there is Chao Pho Lak Mueang Shrine, which is highly respected. Operating hours are from 07:00 16:00 hrs.

Khao Ang Rue Nai Wildlife Sanctuary

Khao Ang Rue Nai Wildlife Sanctuary is the conserved forest covered 643,750 Rai (257,500 Acres), located in the forest in the junction of 5 provinces: Chachoengsao, Chonburi, Rayong, Chanthaburi, and Prachin Buri.  This fertile forest is the last of the east.  General landscape is about 30-150 meters high above sea level.  It is the origin of Bang Pakong River in Chachoengsao, Khlong Tanod in Chanthaburi, and Prasae River in rayong.  There are many kinds of wild animals and birds.  Ang Rue Nai Waterfall is about 2 kilometers from the Guard Unit.  Traveling: From Chachoengsao, go to Pahnom Sarakham first, and then use highway No.3245 to Tha Takiap, after that go to Ban Nong Khok for 57 kilometers, and use the route to Wang Nam Yen of Sa Kaeo for 15 kilometers.  Tourists who love nature should contact Wildlife Conservation Division, Forestry Department (Tel: 579-9446) in advance.

Wat Uphai Phatikaram

The present chapel (ubosot) is a new, beautiful, and gigantic building which has replaced the old one. The chapel actually depicts the style of the applied Rattanakosin period. The weekdays operating hours are during 07:00-16:15 and 07:00-17:00 hrs for weekends. Moreover, there are many stalls for food and local souvenirs. Long-tailed boat service to and from the city market and the temple is also available.Wat Uphai Phatikaram (Wat Sam Po Kong) Situated on Suphakij Road, near Talad Mai, this temple was formerly a Chinese temple. However, it has now turned into a Vietnamese temple. It is also a location of the Chao Pho Sam Po Kong or Luang Pho To (Phra Trairattananayok). Every weekend, many Chinese tourists come to pay respect to the image.

Khao Hin Son Development Education Center

Khao Hin Son Development Education Center is at the 51st-52nd  kilometers on highway No.304, 17 kilometers far from Phanom Sarakham, with the area of 1,869 Rai.  This is the education center for new agricultural development, with the cooperation of public and private sectors.  The area inside has been divided for demonstration and experiment for farmers and other people.  Many projects are: land development, livestocks, fishery, arts, and herb garden.  “Eastern Botanical Garden” has been established to study and conduct research for plants and herbs.  Herb sauna is also available in Wednesday-Thursday and Saturday-Sunday with 20 Baht fee.  More information, contact Tel: 280-6198 – 200 or (038) 59-9105-6.

Wat Phayakkha Intharam

Wat Phayakkha Intharam (Wat Chedi) has been proved to be built in the reign of King Rama V, the big stupa inside the temple was built in 1873, while the temple itself was built in 1881.  Being one of the most ancient temples, this venue has been registered by the Fine Arts Department as the archeological site.  Highlights of the temple are one big stupa, two small stupas , some other Buddhist buildings such as the ceremonial hall (viharn), the chapel, the bell tower, etc.