To reach the Kiu Lom Dam, take the Lampang-Ngao Road and turn left at Kms. 623-624 marker, which is about 38 kilometres frm the town. Then continue for a further 14 kilometres kilometres. Constructed for irrigation purpose, it has a scenic reservoir suitable for boating or rafting. At lease a half day tour is suggest. Visitors may opt overnighting on raft. Places to see included cliffs, isles and a fishing village.
at 33 Mu 9, Man Khoi in Tambon Ban Rong near the Phao Yao-Lampang road, is a facility established by Khru Kam-aye Dejduangta. It has an extensive collections of wood-carvings made by Kru Kam-aye himself and serves as a school to train those intending to become artisans and to provide occupations for the local people.
is located in the Thung Kwian forest park in Hang Chat district about 32 kilometres from town on the route to Chiang Mai. It is the only facility in the world devoted to the training of elephants for timber work using these pachyderms as labor. There are performances and training demonstrations. The art of making wooden elephants is also demonstrated. There are 2-3 shows daily. Visitors can enjoy feeding these intelligent giants or to ride them to see natural surroundings. The centre provides health care for the elephants. For more information call (054) 227051.
The Khun Than mountain range of the Doi Khun Than National Park forms a natural boundary between Lamphun and Lampang provinces. The northern rail line to Chiang Mai runs through the longest rail tunnel in the country, which is 1352 metres long and takes five minutes to traverse. The mountain has both virgin jungle and pinery.
Many tourists choose to walk from the Khun Than Station up the mountain a distance of about 7 kilometres. There are four rest areas on the way. Visitors may also camp overnight but must provides for their own food. The best time to take the trip is between November and February when the weather is fine and cool.
is about 50 kilometres from town on the Lampang-Ngao road near Km. 650 marker. Stacks of offering can be seen around the site and the shrine is considered sacred. Road-users passing by usually honk their car horn or set of fire crackers as a sign of respect. Legend has it that Chao Pho Pratu Pha was a great warrior of the Lampang ruler. He once fought Burmese invaders to block their advance at Pratu Pha and died fighting with his two swords still in his hands and his body still leaning against the hillside. The attackers were so frightened that they withdrew. To honour the brave warrior, the people built the shrine which has since become a sacred and revered place of worship.
To the west of town is Wat Si Rong Muang, a Burmese temple built in 1905 during the time when Lampang was the commercial and forestry centre. Major architectural works include the Wihan made of wood with several overlapping gables in the Burmese style. It is a temple with elaborate carving decorations and plaster designs adorned with colored glass fashioned with delicate craftsmanship.
Built during the reign of King Rama IV by Burmese, Wat Pa Fang is located on Sanam Bin Road. It has a large, glittering gold Chedi Containing a Holy Relic brought over from Myanmar around 1906. The extensive Sala Kan Parian (preaching hall) is made entirely of wood with Burmese-style overlapping roofs. A small Ubosot has a Burmese-style woodwork over its roof with beautiful plaster designs over its doors. Usually there are a considerable number of Burmese monks in residence.
Almost across Wat Pa Fang is Wat Chai Mongkhon The outstanding structure is the Kuti, monk’s living quarters, which is a white cement building with Burmese-style wooden roof. lts columns are adorned with coils of golden wires in elaborate designs and colored glasses. The blinds and corridors are made of elaborately-fashioned perforated wooden sheet. Inside is housed a bronze Buddha statue of fine workmanship cast in Mandalay, Myanmar.
is located between Muang and Ngao districts just off the main highway at Kms. 665-666, some 60 kilometres from the provincial town. Cars can access right to the mouth of a cave within which are picturesque stalactite and stalagmites. There are also several smaller caverns, each with their own attractions.
About 5 kilometres from town on the Lampang-Chae Hom road is Wat Chedi Sao Lang. Cooled and shaded by large trees, the temple has 20 Chedis in its compound, each made in the combined Lanna-Burmese style. A Chiang Saen style bronze Buddha statue is also enshrined here, commonly referred to as “Phra Chao Than Chai” by the local people. The door panels of the Ubosot are of ancient vintage with elaborate design.