THAI NAME: พระราชวังสนามจันทร์
LOCATION: Amphoe Mueang District in Nakhon Pathom
GPS: 13.818818, 100.045763
Sanam Chan Palace is located in the town of Nakhon Pathom, about 2 kms west of Phra Pathom Chedi. It occupies an area of about 355 acres. The palace was constructed by command of King Rama VI in the year 1907 when he was the Crown Prince. Phraya Silprasit supervised the construction which, in the beginning, there were two halls: Phra Thinang Phiman Pathom and Phra Thinang Aphirom Reudi.
It is located at Ban Ko Rad, Tambon Bang Pla, which is 9 Kms. south of Amphoe Bang Len, via the Bang Len-Don Toom route. The village is home to Thai Soang or Thai Soang Dum (Thai Soang usually wear black dresses) or Lao Soang, who migrated from Ban Nong Prong, Amphoe Khao Yoi, Petchaburi, who have a distinct culture and tradition of their own. The village also features interesting handicraft like weaving and rattan ware.
It is an old temple located in Tambon Nakhon Chaisi. The temple houses a chapel, a vihara, and a principal Buddha image, all of which are very old and assumed, archaeologically, to have been built in the Ayutthaya period. There is a Phra Phuttha Vithinayok museum, exhibiting historical remains, artefacts, as well as utensils of the late monks: Luang Poo Boon (Phra Phuttha Vithinayok Boon Kanthachoti) and Luang Poo Perm (Phra Phuttha Vithinayok Perm Punyavasano). Various Buddha images, amulets, and sacred talismans of both late monks are also on display. On another side of the museum, Thai medicines, herbs, and utensils of craftsmen are displayed. It is open on Saturdays and Sundays, and national gazette holidays from 09.00-16.00. For more information, call: 0 3433 1462, 0 3433 2182.
It is located at Dhamma Sala temple, Tambon Dhamma Sala, 6 Kms. to the east of Phra Pathom Chedi, on the South-side of Petchakasem Road. The physical appearance is that of a hill with a tunnel opening that is believed to connect Wat Phra Mayn to Wat Dhamma Sala. From hearsay, there are various valuable treasures like ancient pottery but which may not be taken out because there is a treasure guardian spirit watching over.
Situated in the Mahidol University, Salaya Campus, Nakhon Pathom Province, the Sireeruckachati Herb Garden serves as a collection and conservation center for study and research of medicinal plants available in Thailand. Within an area of 4 acres, plants are grown in grasshouses, decorative gardens and forest gardens. Each plant is accompanied by its names and usage. The garden is opened daily to public from 7.00 am. to 5.30 pm. For group tour that needs a tour guide, please contact: “The Committee on Growing Medicinal Plant Project; Faculty of Pharmacy, 447 Si Ayutthaya Road, Bangkok 10400; call 0-2644-8696 or visit www.pharmacy.mahidol.ac.th
Herbal Grove, Wat Plug Mai Lai is situated in Tambon Thung Khwang, 20 Kms. from Nakhon Pathom town on Malaiman road. An entrance to the temple can be seen on the left. More than 500 kinds of herbs abound in the grove which covers an area of 92 Rais (36.8 acres) and in a tranquil ambience. The temple offers various natural therapies including traditional massage, herbal sauna, herbal food, and meditation. For more information contact, Nakhon Pathom Sanitation Office tel: 0 3424 2029, 0 3425 1548 and Wat Plug Mai Lai tel: 0 3420 4044, 0 3420 4470.
It is a house of Uncle Reungchai and Aunt Payom Chamniyom. It is located at Ban Lan Laem, Mu 4, Tambon Wat Lamud. The house-cum- museum displays equipment, utensils, and tools, used in rice farming. Also within the house compound is a handicraft-training centre that trains townspeople to make various products from Water Hyacinth (Pak Tob Chawa). To visit, please contact tel: 034 296-086 in advance.
Open Study Centre or College in the Palace, located alongside Salaya-Bang Phasi Road, Tambon Salaya. The centre mobilises an ancient school of Thai arts called “Chang Sib Mu” or “The Ten Master Crafts”, the Thai arts that stem from local wisdom and expertise that Thais managed to retain from their forefathers. “Chang Sib Mu” means a group of craftsmen who creates art in the ancient Thai style by hand, such as: painting, carving, mould-casting, plastering, casting, puppet mastering, lathe mastering, upholstering, etc. The centre exhibits pieces of works of made by students of arts. Souvenirs made by the students are also on sale. For more information, please contact tel: 0 2431 3623, Fax: 02431 3624 or http://www.nfe.go.th/0415
It is located at 38/9, Buddha-monthon VII Road. The entrance is opposite Rajavidhyalai College for which you have to go in another one kilometre. The Garden houses masterpieces of arts created by Madam Misiem Yip Intsoi for educational purposes. It is also available for organizing temporary exhibitions in an out-door gallery style and open-air art gallery for artists to exhibit their works. For more information, call 0 2213 2027.
Fish Sanctuary, located at Mu 1, Tambon Haui Plu. The place is a natural fish sanctuary, which is the habitat of various species of fish typical to the Tha Cheen River. The Fish Sanctuary can be reached via an access road 11 Kms. from the intersection at Nakhon Chaisi District Office.