Wat Bang Khae Yai

Wat Bang Khae Yai  is located on the bank of the Mae Klong River, at the mouth of the Bang Khae Canal in Tambon Khwae Om. It was built in 1814. Inside the temple, there are ancient monuments and artefacts. The large Ubosot (ordination hall) is more than 150 years old. At the front, the square Chedi (pagoda) with twelve indented corners is the art of the Ayutthaya period. The laterite principal Buddha image in the ordination hall is in the posture of Subduing Mara. There are seven Dharma Chedis built in 1872 with a boundary wall. On a separating wall in a monk’s cell, a tempera mural painting from the late reign of King Rama II depicts a battle between the Siamese and the Burmese, probably the one that King Rama II sent  troops to obstruct the enemy at Ratchaburi in 1821. Admission is subject to permission in advance.

To get there:
Take Highway 325 (Samut Songkhram – Bang Phae) and turn left to cross the Phra Si Suriyen Bridge. Then, turn right to Highway 3062 for about 2 km, past Wat Phummarin Kudi Thong, and see Wat Bang Khae Yai.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.