Don Chedi Monument
The monument is located in Tambon Don Chedi, on Highway 322, 31 kilometres from downtown. The royal monument of King Naresuan the Great and the pagoda were built to commemorate the victory over the Burmese troops. In January 1592, he defeated Phra Maha Upparacha, the Burmese Crown Prince in a royal duel on elephant back; as a result, the Siamese kingdom regained its sovereignty from the occupation of Burma.
The Royal Thai Army renovated the pagoda in 1952, and built a new pagoda over the ancient one. The new pagoda is 66 metres high and 36 metres wide. His Majesty the King presided over the worshipping and opening ceremony on 25 January 1959. Thus, it has become the Royal Thai Army Day since then. A large celebration is held annually around the monument.
About 100 metres from the monument, people also flock to worship the statues of King Naresuan the Great and his elder sister Phra Suphankanlaya in a shrine in the compound.